+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fake86 gamecube port

fake86 gamecube port

Hello,
    infact here from the gc-forever community.

Just wanted to let you know that I started a quick port of fake86 to the gamecube (and wii) with devkitppc, libogc and cubeSDL.
    It is in early stages and slow, but it works, heh.

See repository here: http://bitbucket.org/infact/fake86gc

I also have a question: Is there anything I can do to speedup the emulator? I fiddled a bit with the timing, but it only gets sloppy.

Thanks!

Hey there. Awesome! Great job, sorry I just saw the post tonight. I don't have a real Gamecube, but I'll try to compile it and see if I can get it going in an emulator. Is there anything special that I have to do for it to compile? I've never compiled a thing for the GC.

On a semi-related note, I've still got my old Dreamcast It's crossed my mind once or twice to try porting it to that and seeing how it runs. I've done it on my original Xbox, but that is obviously easy. It's just a glorified PC. I've got a Playstation 1 too, but I think that would be pushing it a bit.

As far as getting some more speed out of it, since the Fake86 CPU core is a pure interpreter engine it can be fairly slow on weak hardware. The best way to crank some more speed out of it on a CPU with only one core is to make it not update the screen as often. I would say fiddle with the video refresh delay until it's just slow enough that it's not annoying/a problem. You could also help it out a bit more by dropping the audio sample rate, but that would be a minor boost at best.

The Gamecube has something like a 500 MHz PowerPC, right? I've compiled it on an old iMac with a 400 MHz PowerPC G3. Even with tweaking, the text mode rendering was very choppy compared to a graphics mode like 320x200 256 color. The text mode rendering has to output 640x400, so it's very slow compared to the graphics modes. However, it ran Prince of Persia on there using that 320x200 mode and it was extremely smooth considering the hardware, seemed to be around 20 FPS or so. I am not familiar with the Gamecube's video stuff, so I'm not sure how it would compare.

Also, the iMac was pulling off about 2.5 to 4 million instructions emulated per second depending on what I was running, which is more or less in the range of a "turbo" 8088 machine.

+ Reply to Thread